• Allie and Ryan

    Allie & Ryan

  • Allie and Ryan 2

    Allie & Ryan

  • Allie and Ryan 3

    Allie & Ryan

  • Ryan and Allie 4

    Allie & Ryan

  • Ryan and Allie 5

    Allie & Ryan

Saturday, April 3, 2010

The 13th Station

This is what I read and wrote at the Living Stations service. Ryan made it! It gave me so much strength to have him there with me. Apparently quite a lot of people teared up, myself and fiance included, but I made it through without crying until I was back at my seat and saw Ryan have a tear streak down his face.

The Thirteenth Station: Jesus is Taken Down from the Cross

After hours of pain and suffering, it was over. Jesus had died on the cross and was at last taken down and placed into the arms of His Mother. The soldiers were ordered to remove the three men from the crosses before sunset, the start of the Sabbath. Many people had long since fled the hillside and only a few of Jesus’ followers, and His Mother remained. She cradled the body of her Son in her arms one last time before Jesus was taken away for burial.

Jesus sacrificed himself for us. He died for our sins so we didn’t have to do the same. Over the past two years my life has dramatically changed in many ways, especially with my fiancĂ© as a member of the military. Watching him and his friends deploy to Iraq and Afghanistan have been some of the hardest experiences of my life, but watching them come home made all the difference. I know how fortunate I was to welcome him home. But how many mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, husbands, wives and friends have watched their fearless heroes leave and not return?

These men and women have sacrificed their lives for our safety and freedom, volunteering to go into harms way so we don’t have to do the same. They were and are willing to die for their family and country, just as Jesus was willing to do for us. Many mothers have found themselves in Mary’s place; seeing the body of their child as they are with them for the last time, after the ultimate sacrifice for the sake of others.


Let us pray [pause for a moment]

Lord Jesus, thank you for the sacrifice you made to save us all. As your mother cradled you in her arms, may we provide that same comfort to others. Watch over the brave men and women in the armed forces who follow your example, and risk their lives for the peace and love of others. Please welcome those who have also sacrificed their own lives for their country into your loving arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and for commenting. Please make sure your email is attached to your comment so I can reply. I try to reply to every person who comments, if you don't get a response check and see that you are not a 'noreply' blogger!