• Allie and Ryan

    Allie & Ryan

  • Allie and Ryan 2

    Allie & Ryan

  • Allie and Ryan 3

    Allie & Ryan

  • Ryan and Allie 4

    Allie & Ryan

  • Ryan and Allie 5

    Allie & Ryan

Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

Today, while you are at the beach or the bar-b-que, sitting with family and friends, take a moment to reflect on those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for their country. Those who have died serving their country, in the line of duty, from the effects of war, or veterans past. While it is important to thank those who served (everyday) today is about remembering those who are no longer with us. Last year Ryan was in South Carolina for the weekend and I was in Virginia. I went over to Arlington Cemetary to walk around and give my thanks. Every single grave has a flag, similar to the wreaths at Christmas, but they also give roses. If you go into the visitor's center they have a plethora of red roses that they ask you take and put on a grave as you walk through.

 Seeing those flags and the beautiful red roses made me cry. I sat under a tree for awhile and prayed, offering up whatever one person can, hoping it reached someone who could hear it.





Please remember those men and women today. Although I am in North Carolina this year and not able to go to Arlington, my thoughts have drifted there all day. There are some remarkable people in this world, in this country, that I just cannot thank enough. To the widows and orphans and parents and family and friends left behind, I thank you too. You too have made a greater sacrifice.

Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. I was able to visit Arlington way back in 1999 but I really want to go again. Going on Memorial Day would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for commenting. Please make sure your email is attached to your comment so I can reply. I try to reply to every person who comments, if you don't get a response check and see that you are not a 'noreply' blogger!