• Allie and Ryan

    Allie & Ryan

  • Allie and Ryan 2

    Allie & Ryan

  • Allie and Ryan 3

    Allie & Ryan

  • Ryan and Allie 4

    Allie & Ryan

  • Ryan and Allie 5

    Allie & Ryan

Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Bad time to EAS…

As most of you know my husband’s EAS date is fast approaching. I have had posts for months now about him trying to switch his MOS or debating on what to do next… but we’re getting pretty down to the wire here. Ryan finally found something he wanted to do. Back a few months Ryan decided 0313 would be a good fit for him, it involves infantry and LAVs, so it is a compromise. He can still be infantry but from inside a big armored tank thing, both of us are happy. So he submits his package in early Februaryish.

And we wait. And wait. And wait. We find out it didn’t reach Headquarters until March 2. From there we had to wait 30 days to hear at least something back. This week once again we are down to the wire. Ryan has been going in to see the career planner everyday just to be told the same thing, “It’s still pending.” Well yesterday he heard something.

It doesn’t look good for us.

0313 had one open spot. One guy got offered it already and he has until April 6th to decide. If he doesn’t get it, another guy does and he has until April 20th to decide. Which means Ryan wouldn’t get offered it until then. We cannot wait 26 days. And I highly highly doubt both of these guys will not take it. I doubt the first guy won’t not take it!

No 0313 for us.

But, you know what might have been the reason my husband was third out of three for 0313? 2 NJPs. Yup. My husband got busted for underage drinking, not once but twice, and managed to keep his rank. He worked very hard to prove himself once again and in my opinion he has. Both of the NJPs were from 2008, three years ago now. And it is something he honestly can never do again (get it? Underage drinking? He’s 23? Sorry…). But when his reenlistment package goes in front of the board all they are seeing is Ryan on paper, not the amazing Marine he is. On that first page it says 2 NJPs. The first page. They could easily just close it without a second glance. And it breaks my heart. Mistakes my husband made when he was young are hurting us now. One happened before we met, the other when we were first dating. Three years. Since then he has earned a NAM, rose in rank, deployed to Iraq, and is acting platoon sgt! Does none of that matter?!

So now what? Ryan had his career planner try and keep his package going but for Radio Operator. Not much is open. In fact, only 233 spots remain in the entire Marine Corps for this year. See? Not a good time to EAS.

Even with Radio Operator there is a catch. Ryan’s grades from high school in the area of algebra plus his ASVAB scores need to equal a 115 for Radio operator. He has a 114. I kid you not. But! The career planner is going to make some calls and try and push for him since Ryan does have a top secret clearance, that may be enough to make up for that one point? Hopefully this goes through because if Ryan has to start from scratch with a new package it will take a few days to put together and we are just running out of time.

I need your prayers once again bloggers. Hope we can stay in the Marine Corps!

12 comments:

  1. I will be keeping y'all in my thoughts and prayers ! Sending hugs and positive thoughts to y'all that something comes up :) Keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate that the USMC only sees the person on paper, not the actual person. I'm sorry ya'll are going through this, and I hope it all works out, you'll be in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be praying for you guys! My husband's EAS was August of last year. He decided himself to get out, but recently decided that it was best for us for him to get back into the military. Only, the Marine Corps is downsizing big time! We are actually working right now on all his stuff for him to enlist into the Navy, but I really hope you guys get to stay in the Marine Corps, I know my husband would've loved too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww twin I'll be thinking of and praying for you. This is such a tricky point in life, having some things already set but not knowing where others will lead you or where you'll end up. Just remember that everything happens for a reason, and whatever is meant to be will be. Easier said than done, I know, but if you look at it that way it makes things seem a little better. It will all work out the way it's supposed to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to hear this! Yes, I completely agree.. I wish they didn't decided things based on what is on paper. My husband went through the same thing and finally he got approved for what he wanted but we waited, and waited too. He wanted to go into Meteorology and had to get a Top Security clearance. Well he did that like 7 months ago and they kept coming back with a problem, thanks to the USMC. Finally, this month (after my husband already signed the dotted line to enter another MOS) they came and tried to fix his clearance (which made him really upset)

    but anyways!!! I completely know what your going through and I will be praying! If God wants you and your hubby to continue to stay in the USMC he will provide a way! :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is he able to go into a B billet? Call me and we can discuss. My husband is a Career Planner after all... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is why my husband re-enlisted last year even though his first enlistment wasn't up until this summer... praying something works out for you guys! Sucks the military has to cut back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking of you guys and hope it all works out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I have my fingers crossed girl!!! Looking forward to tomorrow!! haha. I'll text you later on details.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'll be thinking of you!! it is stressful waiting on the marine corps....story of our lives, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck...and it's not just the Marines that only see what's typed in front of them. Mistakes like this have a tendency to follow a soldier/sailor/airman around for a long time, even when he or she has done more than enough to make amends & prove themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll keep you and your husband in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for commenting. Please make sure your email is attached to your comment so I can reply. I try to reply to every person who comments, if you don't get a response check and see that you are not a 'noreply' blogger!