• Allie and Ryan

    Allie & Ryan

  • Allie and Ryan 2

    Allie & Ryan

  • Allie and Ryan 3

    Allie & Ryan

  • Ryan and Allie 4

    Allie & Ryan

  • Ryan and Allie 5

    Allie & Ryan

Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day


Arlington Cemetery 2011


Today is the day we all need to remember that freedom is not free. Today we honor all of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. It isn't about bar-b-ques, baseball, the beach and kicking off summer. Today is a solemn day, for some even a painful day, as we remember those who have given their lives for our great nation.

My uncle found this picture this past weekend. It is of my grandfather standing at the grave of his brother Joseph. Joseph was in the Merchant Marines and their ship was torpedoed by a German U-Boat... no traces of it or anyone on it was ever found. Although I never met my great uncle, I am honored to be a part of his lineage.

I never expected to know widows at my age who are my age or even younger. I never expected to be afraid of a knock at my door when I am home alone. I never expected to feel such strong feelings of anger when I see commercials posting their weekend sales and completely forgetting the true meaning of this weekend. I never expected to be a military wife, but I am, and I am proud to be one. I honor those who have given their lives in service to our country. To those my husband worked with, knew, and cared about... you are sorely missed. To those families feeling a little extra pain today, I am so sorry. I will always honor you.


1 comment:

Thanks for reading and for commenting. Please make sure your email is attached to your comment so I can reply. I try to reply to every person who comments, if you don't get a response check and see that you are not a 'noreply' blogger!